Here are some morsels for your Monday:
1. This just in: Team Lux is rumored to be starting the 2011 season in neutral jerseys.Â Apparently the Schlecks donâ€™t quite have their ducks in a row yet.Â While it is yet to be confirmed, no matter how you spin it, this is not a good sign. And if it is true, how can the UCI allow it?Â Call me crazy, but I see a Team Radio Shack/Team Lux merger on the horizonâ€”if not for 2011, 2012 for sure.
2. Last weekâ€™s Whatâ€™s New over at Competitive Cyclist raised a notion Iâ€™ve been bouncing around with friends for quite some time now: if the UCI and WADA really wanted to put an end to doping (or at least the he said/she said/he ate/she ate games currently plaguing the sport), it would consider offering amnesty to everyone to have ridden up to a certain dateâ€”and lifetime bans to anyone testing positive (after a due process, of course). We need to end our ceaseless obsession with what happened in the past and concern ourselves with cleaning up the sportâ€™s future.Â Amnesty takes the teeth out of former proâ€™s hoping to win one last bit of fame by outing themselves or their peers, while lifetime bans might make even the most hardened dopers think twice before doing it.Â And as hard it might be to offer clean slates to some (Rasmussen, DiLuca, etc…), the ends might more than justify the means. Thatâ€™s my two cents.
3. That said, the Armstrong investigation appears to be heating-up even more.
4. Hindsightâ€™s 20/20â€”right Matti?Â Seriously though, if Breschel canâ€™t heal in time for the next yearâ€™s Classics, weâ€™ll all miss-out. Will Breschel be in 2011 what Heinrich Haussler was in 2010?
5. And speaking of Saxo, where will they be after losing so many UCI points?Â Could a Contador suspension spell the end of the teamâ€™s high UCI ranking?
6. Paolo Bettini is getting an early start on downplaying Cav’s chances at 2011 Worlds in Copenhagen.
7. Pegasus is one â€œnewâ€ team wishing it would get a few less breaks as it heads into 2011. (Sorry, the pun was too good to resist.)
8. Sky is going to refocus for 2011, deemphasizing the Tour de France. While some might want to point the finger at PavÃ© for its steady stream of Sky/Wiggo criticism, it should be noted that weâ€™re not the only ones on the bandwagon.
9. Finally, we should have our 2011 kit finalized by the end of next week.Â Weâ€™ll be sure to post the first look hereâ€”with prices of course.Â For now, feel free to add your name to the list to be the first to know when updates arrive.
Have a great week!